Thursday, January 20, 2011

Review: Shakespeare's Counselor by Charlaine Harris


Book Title: Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard Mystery, Book 5)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre: Mystery
Buy it from Amazon.com: Shakespeare's Counselor (Lily Bard Mysteries, Book 5)

 Synopsis from Good Reads
 "Cleaning woman and karate expert Lily Bard is a woman with a complicated past. Trying her best to cope with her terrifying memories and horrible nightmares, she decides to join a weekly group therapy session in her hometown of Shakespeare, Arkansas. At first Lily can hardly believe the number of her fellow Shakespeareans who share her life experiences." "As it turns out, the group members' feelings aren't the only things that need sorting out - they assemble for a session and find a woman dead, killed in bone-chilling fashion and deliberately left on display to send a twisted message. Who would commit such a horrendous crime, and who is the intended recipient of the message?" Before long, Lily becomes embroiled in this disturbing murder and its aftermath, one in which the brutal killer's motives are entirely unclear. The truth is, the situation has dredged up more than a few of her own terrible secrets, and she may not be able to rest until she can untangle the who and why of this terrible crime. But can she accomplish this before the killer strikes again, and before her nightmares send her over the edge?"

My Thoughts 

I liked this book even though I can't really think of much to say about it. Apparently this is the last one in the series which makes me sad because I really liked Lily Bard. She was a kickass (she could literally kick your ass), takes no BS kind of woman. I did enjoy this book, but there were some things that bothered me. I didn't particularly like or care about Tamsin Lynd. There really wasn't much character development for her. I didn't really understand why Lily would take pity on her, because Lily never feels bad for anyone. That's just not how she is. Another thing that bothered me was the ending. Charlaine Harris at times tends to just wrap everything up in the last 20 or so pages, and this was one of those times, even though this book was a bit longer than previous ones in the series. So that was kind of disappointing... The last thing (I think) I noticed was there were 2 instances when the author got some gym names mixed up, but that doesn't really take away from the story, I suppose.

I love Charlaine Harris! This book definitely isn't great, but it was a fun, light, quick read. I would recommend to fans of the Southern Vampire series.


My Rating

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the Lily Bard mysteries. I don't know. This one doesn't sounds like one I really need to go out and pick up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...