Thursday, January 13, 2011

Did Not Finish: Tinkers by Paul Harding

I feel bad, I really do. My little bloggie thing here is only two days old and I'm already not finishing a book. Now this is very rare for me. It's been years and years since I started a book and DNF (Did Not Finish). Ordinarily I just stick it out and read the whole thing even if I'm not enjoying it.

Things do change, however! And this particular thing was Tinkers by Paul Harding...

I'll admit I had pretty high hopes for this one, seeing as it was a Pulitzer Prize winner. I have been disappointed in the past. I didn't particularly like The Road or Olive Kitteredge, for instance. Soooo... I guess I should've known better.


Synopsis from GoodReads:
 "An old man lies dying. As time collapses into memory, he travels deep into his past where he is reunited with his father and relives the wonder and pain of his impoverished New England youth. At once heartbreaking and life affirming, Tinkers is an elegiac meditation on love, loss, and the fierce beauty of nature."
  
This book is very short at a mere 191 pages but I could only get to page 62. Basically all that happened was an old man was hallucinating. I don't want to sound heartless, but it was pretty boring. It felt like a chore to read, so why should I waste time when there are so many better books I know I could be reading and enjoying? I really feel like the author could make an interesting story, "story" being the big key word here. He writes well, but there was absolutely no plot, no storyline, only pointless descriptions about things going on for whole pages. None of the characters were interesting to me.

This definitely was not for me, and I can not think of anyone I would recommend it to. Perhaps if I later hear that it actually gets better at page 63 I'll pick it back up. In the meantime I'm movin on!

2 comments:

  1. I have that sometimes- not able to get into a book. It's sad, but every book is not for everyone.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't think you should feel bad. 1. not productive and 2. why should you feel bad for not reading something boring. If you don't have to read something for school or b/c you are under contract to the New York Times, I think you should read what you like. Why would you want to read something that you did not enjoy unless you had a test or paper due? And you don't even have to tell us about it unless you want to. new follower from the follow.
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...